8.11.2017

Anything goes with salt dough

There's a reason it's called salt dough - it takes a ton of salt! And believe me - do not sneak a taste, thinking it's yummy sugar cookie dough or something. I don't know how fish live in the salty ocean. 😝

Anywho - and you'll get the 'who' reference in a second - here's Ollie the Owl, my salt dough friend. Get it? Owl?  Who/hoo?  😀

I created Ollie for the Emerald Creek Anything Goes Challenge - he's my 2nd of two entries.  Let me say this: I am in no wise an artist (another owl reference ~ 'wise' 😉). What I mean is painting. Forgive me, Ollie, for not doing you justice like alot of others would have!

Here's naked Ollie after baking - kind of liked him like that.


And Ollie with a coat of white. I liked that even better & thought about keeping him that way. 


But I had to play around so I got out my arsenal of sprays, inks, & waxes & came up with Oh, My Eyes! Ollie (feel free to grab your shades, especially when viewing closeups):


I think now you're getting my not-an-artist-in-terms-of-painting reference. I didn't want to do the regular brown tones, didn't want to do steampunk.  I was just winging it (again with the owl pun)! 


I used various sprays & inks from Tattered Angels to Lindy's to Tim Holtz, using a water brush to control it.  I then went over everything with various Art Alchemy waxes.


I wanted to keep him mainly white but it needed something more than just the flat paint so I just rubbed more Art Alchemy wax all over the white - still kept it light but had a brilliant shine & iridescence.


I've mentioned this before but I'll say it again: those Art Alchemy waxes have an intoxicating scent to me - Ollie smells so good!


As an added bonus, I had leftover dough which I molded using miscellaneous stuff around the house. 

This first one is a small owl I have & I just used his eyes & nose. Maybe I should add a stick to one side & he could be a masquerade mask for a doll. 😀



This next one was a camel head from a brass letter opener I've had for some 40+ yrs when I lived in Greece as a kid. 


This last one is a partial mold from a trivet my daughter sent me from Germany. 



I guess you could say everything is kind of folk artsy and/or kitschy. Again, I apologize to Ollie for not making him as fabulous as he could be. Hopefully, no harm - no fowl. AGAIN with the owl pun! 😎  Until next time, owl be seeing you - I've really got to stop! 







2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I haven't done salt dough since I was a little girl. This was awesome Inspiration and I love the owl you created. Thanks for entering the EC Dares

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol - thanks, Kim. I don't usually make salt dough because it takes a ton of salt to make. But better the salt go into creating rather than into my diet!

      Delete

Hey - Tell me something good!